Re: [stella] reset debounce

Subject: Re: [stella] reset debounce
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 14:18:01 +0100
Glenn wrote:

> What do most games do as far as reset debounce?

Many (most?) games don't debounce RESET at all.

> Do they reset the game on reset down, or on reset up?
>
> Or is there any real standard there?

I don't think there is a standard, it depends on the type of game. My own two
homebrews use down for no special reason.

> I'm thinking on reset up would be better because it gives you more time to
> get your hand back onto the controller.

It has some more advantages. You can clock the time RESET has been pressed
and make the switch multi purpose (e.g. PAUSE switch). This only works when
you debounce the switch at all.

Down is better for games with many variations (e.g. Space Invaders or Missile
Command) where you can combine RESET with SELECT to step though the
variation list faster.

Have?fun!
Thomas
Thomas?Jentzsch?????????|?***?Every?bit?is?sacred?!?***
tjentzsch?at?web?dot?de?|

Mit der Gruppen-SMS von WEB.DE FreeMail erreichen Sie mit einem Klick
alle Freunde gleichzeitig! http://freemail.web.de/features/?mc=021180