Re: [stella] DASM 'upgrade' in progress

Subject: Re: [stella] DASM 'upgrade' in progress
From: Erik Eid <eeid@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 18:44:16 -0500
On Wednesday 19 March 2003 05:14, Andrew Davie wrote:
> Are there any changes [in DASM] that anyone needs/wants and/or changes that
> have been added in the past few years that I may not be aware of?

First, thank you very much for taking ownership of DASM.  This is a great
service to all us homebrewers!

Perhaps you could add some keyword that would cause the number of bytes left
in a page (or other range) or before the next org statement to print in the
output.  Joe Grand had a nice little trick for this in SCSIcide, which I
"appropriated" for Euchre.  :)

END_UTIL = *

    org $fe00
    echo *-END_UTIL, "bytes available in utility area 1: ", END_UTIL, "-", *-1

Output:
 $f bytes available in utility area 1:  $fdf1 - $fdff

Rather than have to set up END_UTIL and run through this echo, one statement
could do the trick.

Make the Reason and Reasoncode displays a little more friendly - text as well
as numbers.

Here's a "pie-in-the-sky" request, and it's inspired by your "overlay"
technique.  :)  It would be very helpful to be able to set aside sections of
code that can only refer to certain identifiers and not others.  For
instance, I had one overlay group for naming trump and one for playing out a
hand.  I needed to be sure not to reference variables from one group in the
wrong segment of code.  Further, it might reveal cases in which a variable
needs to move out of an overlay into a global area.  (One of the last bugs in
Euchre was due to this - I thought I needed a variable only in certain
sections, but actually needed it beyond then.)

I hope I made that last one clear.  It's a little fuzzy, but since you used
this technique to full effect in Qb, I figure you'll know what I'm talking
about.  :)