[stella] Re: Game developers input wanted for 7800 Ram Cart

Subject: [stella] Re: Game developers input wanted for 7800 Ram Cart
From: Peter Gordon <pete@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 00:40:25 +0100
Hi , on the subject of Re: [stella] Game developers input wanted for 7800 Ram
Cart, you said:

> I'm not actually certain how to go about providing a debugger.  Wouldn't a
> full debugger require support in the hardware to let you read all registers
> at any point without changing them?

Well, thats always nice, but not an absolute requirement. A monitor really
only needs:

1) Some method of interrupting any running software (NMI?). (not 100%
necessary, but certainly handy)
2) A command line that offers assembly, disassembly, ram modification, hex
dump, jump to address etc.

Some extras that would be nice on the 7800:

1) A tool to show information at the display list list at the specified
address
2) A display list list editor

Actually reading the hardware registers is only something that is
advantagious, not actually compulsory. For example, while it might be nice to
be able to automatically figure out where the display lists are, if thats not
possible, a command to analyse a display list at a given address is a good
second choice.

I would offer to send my 6502 monitor code for examination (which has a
disassembler, assembler, hex dump, ram modification etc. etc.), but
unfortunately its all in 68020 assembly (for the amiga). If thats of any use
anyway I can send it.

Cheers,
Pete