[stella] Climber5 source and binary

Subject: [stella] Climber5 source and binary
From: "Dennis Debro" <ddebro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 23:51:41 -0400
In the tradition of the Stella list...

I'm releasing the source and binary of the Climber5 that was shown at
PC4. Many thanks go to Al Yarusso and AtariAge for showing it at the
show.

This is not the original source to the binary I sent to Al. Over the
last couple of weeks I have been modifying it based on some suggestions
given on the AA message board. I've also been sending ROMs to Fabrizio
to test the PAL timings. They're not perfect but acceptable. If anyone
has any complaints about the PAL timings direct them to Fabrizio :)

There are a lot of comments in the code. Some spots may be over
commented. I did this to help others learn the 2600. If you feel
something is over commented then just skip the comment :) I know I found
it helpful to read other people's code. So if a comment can help someone
else, it was worth the effort.

I have to mention that the kernel started from Piero Cavina's PCMSD11
demo. He gave me permission to use it for Climber5. This demo went on to
evolve into Oystron and was also used in SCSIcide. The original kernel
was a 2LK. I have changed it to a 1LK. Piero, see if you can make out
your original source :)

I present this as public domain but I still have ownership. Please DO
NOT make cartridges of this for sell. I'm presenting it to the list for
educational purposes.

I'll continue to improve the game over the next few months. Some
features I'd like to add are:
o score/timer
o random girder movement
o items to pick up

If you find any bugs please pass them along. Also, if you find any other
ways to conserve ROM, PLEASE pass it along. Even though the game fits in
4K I find it fascinating when some free bytes can be found. It's almost
like playing detective. It also helps in the learning process.

Take care,
Dennis