[stella] Climber 5 random ladder prototype

Subject: [stella] Climber 5 random ladder prototype
From: Dennis Debro <ddebro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:01:02 -0400
Here is a prototype of Climber with "psuedo" random ladders. I say psuedo because the playfield is reflective. I spent the last week pulling my hair out and loosing sleep trying to compute the vertical movement vs. using the look up table I originally had.

I came up with an algorithm, though it needs to be optimized for the final product. After think of this and spending great pains implementing it I thought "Why not look at Thomas' Robot City?". A platform ladder game and a maze game basically have the same design pattern.

Oh well...no regrets of course...it was a great exercise. I'll look at Robot City later to look for some pointers :)

Tell me what you think of the pseudo random ladders. Are you okay with it? Should I go back to the drawing board? Should I drop them all together?

Next I'm looking into adding pick up items if I have enough RAM left. I'll have to see.

Take care,
Dennis