Aw: Re: [stella] Bounce! demo

Subject: Aw: Re: [stella] Bounce! demo
From: cybergoth@xxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 15:42:18 +0200 (CEST)
Hi there!

> Currently, a level takes 41 bytes in ROM. That's not a very good number to
> fit in 256-bytes pages, but I should still be able to fit quite some levels
> in a 4k rom. If I get an almost reasonable 1.5k for the levels, 36 will
> fit.
> Would that in your opinion suffice, or should I start thinking
> bankswitched?

No. I want more. Please start thinking bankswitched :-)

An idea:
Once you've finalized all gameplay mechanics, you could write a little Level editor creating a little testing binary and release this to the public. Then set up a reasonable deadline and promise "the best <x> (working!) levels submitted until <date> will be included in the final binary".

That way you should get some 200+ levels to choose from in less than a month ;-)

> Manuel also wrote:
> > I had ideas for a few more tiles. You have those
> > *stable* tiles, so I thought of semi-stable tiles. They
> > could start with Roman numbers III,II & I for example
> > and then countdown on every jump. Jumping on a I once
> > more would turn it into a *normal* tile and then it'd
> > disappear...

> Eheh I also thought of such a tile (it's in the TODO stuff in the souce's
> header :).. I'll just have to see how much free ROM I'll have since every
> tile will require its own graphics...!
> I'll work on it!

Oops. Didn't see that, I'm sorry. After thinking some more of the idea - when bumping the "I", it should already disappear. That way the number is clearly the # of bumps this tile will survive.

And (again I didn't check the ToDos) how about teleporters? :-)

Greetings,
Manuel