[stella] kernals for 48 pixel titles

Subject: [stella] kernals for 48 pixel titles
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 3 Sep 2003 02:13:03 -0000
I've been thinking that maybe an assymetrical playfield
"JoustPong" might be a little blah and clunky looking...
it might be neat if I could get the 48 pixel "Joust"
graphic, and then cut out the word "PONG", and maybe run
playfield graphics behind it so I could color cycle the
PONG cut out.

Well, surprise surprise, the timing is kicking my butt.

Heck, I felt proud of myself just for fiddling with
RESP1 HMOVE and HMP1 enough to perfectly align the
2 sets of 3 players.

So the first question is, will this be worthwhile?
A 48-pixel title is a little bit small on the screen...
maybe I should stick with the playfield?

Second...well, I tried to research this in stella and
through some available source, and I do know I need to
be doing more with inter-A/X/Y stuff, but man...there is *so*
little time there.

Is there any kind of boilerplate for this? I'll post my messed
up kernal, don't know if it's a good starting point or not...

The main kernal is PrettyLoop.  I defined
SolidGraphic:  |XXXXXXXX|

and
HollowGraphic: |X      X|

So for now, I was trying to do
Solid p0, Solid p1, hollow p0 hollow p1 solid p0 solid p1
'cause it's relatively easy to see if it's workig or, as
is still the case, not...

Thanks for any help. It isn't the most crucial part of
JoustPong, but it would be really cool if I could work it
in there, and I do have plenty of ROM space...

	processor 6502
	include vcs.h

	include macro.h

	org $F000

YPosFromBot = $80;
VisiblePlayerLine = $81;

;generic start up stuff...
Start
	SEI
	CLD
	LDX #$FF
	TXS
	LDA #0
ClearMem
	STA 0,X
	DEX
	BNE ClearMem

	LDA #$00
	STA COLUBK
	LDA #$1C ;yellow
	STA COLUP0
	LDA #88  ;pink
	STA COLUP1

	LDA #%00000011	;triple
	STA NUSIZ0
	STA NUSIZ1

;VSYNC time
MainLoop
	LDA #2
	STA VSYNC
	STA WSYNC
	SLEEP 35
	STA RESP0
	LDA #%00010000
	STA WSYNC
	SLEEP 35
	STA HMP1
	STA RESP1
	STA WSYNC

	LDA #43
	STA TIM64T
	LDA #0
	STA VSYNC

WaitForVblankEnd
	LDA INTIM
	BNE WaitForVblankEnd

	STA WSYNC
	STA HMOVE

	STA VBLANK

	LDY #10
PrePrettyLoop
	STA WSYNC
	DEY
	BNE PrePrettyLoop

;main scanline loop...

	LDX #0

	LDY #8

PrettyLoop
	STA WSYNC

	LDA SolidGraphic

	STA GRP0

	LDA SolidGraphic

	STA GRP1

	LDX HollowGraphic

	LDA HollowGraphic

	SLEEP 19

	STX GRP0

	STA GRP1

	LDX SolidGraphic

	STX GRP1

;	LDA HollowGraphic
;	STA GRP0
;
;
;	LDA SolidGraphic
;	STA GRP0
;
;	LDA SolidGraphic
;	STA GRP1
;
	DEY
	BNE PrettyLoop

	STA WSYNC
	LDA #0

	STA GRP0		;put that line as player graphic
	STA GRP1

	LDY #173

PostPrettyLoop
	STA WSYNC