Re: [stella] Random maze

Subject: Re: [stella] Random maze
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 12 Sep 2003 19:56:45 -0000

> >Yes - Maze Craze et al... (Your biggest hurdle is not the display, it's
> >the RAM required to store your maze data. Maze Craze's maze is 23 rows
> >high, or a minimum of 115 bytes RAM which is a pretty good chunk of your
> >available RAM...)
>
> It only requires half of that much RAM.  You start off with sort of a
> pegboard like this:
>
> X X X X X X X
>
> X X X X X X X
>
> X X X X X X X
>
> Then you fill in the walls to make a maze:
>
> XXXXXXX X XXX
>    X   X X   X
> X X XXX XXX X
> XXXXXXXXXXXXX
>
> So you only have to store have of the squares.  :oD

At the risk of missing the joke a little, I think that using the
RAM for the playfield would be much faster in the kernal.  A typical
time/space trade off.

On the other hand, you seem to describe a pretty good method for
maze generation.  (depending on if you want a maze with a single
solution path, or just a corridor-like playfield) I think
"Tunnel Runner" (see Atari Age for a screen shot of its 2D view)
uses something like that, since it's the latter rather than a
maze to solve.

Ah, memories of this one type in text graphic program...not
sure what magazine, but it would draw a maze, and then solve it,
and you could watch the AI at work in both cases.

-Kirk

  BAR JOKE #11 A man walks into a bar. He has a few drinks and chats with the
  bartender. Later that night, he goes home and reflects on the poor decisons
  he's made in life.