Re: [stella] new project; fpga2600

Subject: Re: [stella] new project; fpga2600
From: ecwilkso@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:50:39 -0400
That's great, except this isn't a hardware project.  It's a *SOFTWARE* project.
Be careful!  :)

And it's not a particularly difficult one at that.  Pretty easy in fact.  Once
those schematics surfaced, everyone had the source code in their hands.  They
only needed to capture it, grab a compiler and an FPGA, and the project was
practically done for them.

The most difficult part would be finding an FPGA that could both handle the
project and that was cheap enough to offer the possibility of affordable
production runs.  If the person wanted to try to sell the design in any type of
commercial sense, that is.

Many, MANY people here have released not only their executables, but also their
source code to the public.  Even going so far as to release every revision and
to document the hows and whys of each rev.  Why would you not do this, Carlos?
I'm not saying you should release your code, but I do think there's room to be
a little more helpful for those who are tyring to learn.

I don't think you're in this only for the money...there probably isn't that
much money to be had.  If there were you probably would have gone public long
ago.  I would have.  But since the market was small, and FPGAs weren't really
cost effective (IMHO) I didn't.  I was really only doing it as a service to the
community.  And once the schematics became available, that service was no
longer needed so I shelved the project.

And now, some personal philosophy that people may want to consider...

There are many people here who have been very generous with their work and
their knowledge and time.  And there are people here who soak up that knowledge
without ever posting even a "hello".  There has been everything in between.

Not everyone has to be so generous.  It's their work, and it's their right.
But one of the things that makes this community unique is the sharing of
knowledge.  So a person shouldn't be offended if people question the "why" of
keeping things secret.  It's the way this community works.

</rant>

-Chris