Re: [stella] Jumping back to VSync

Subject: Re: [stella] Jumping back to VSync
From: Erik Mooney <erik@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:38:52 -0400
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 18:24:25 -0400, you wrote:

>On Monday 29 September 2003 07:48, Dennis Debro wrote:
>> Why not suppress the TIA output for a frame instead? I think that would be
>> less noticable than jumping back to VSYNC. This would also give you more
>> time (a full frame) to do anything you may need before starting the game.
>
>This is a technique similar to the one I used in Euchre.  I blanked the screen
>for eight frames - plenty of time to fully shuffle the deck (it took about
>five scan lines to pick two cards to swap) - and it's not at all disruptive.

Doesn't Video Chess do something involving not keeping track of vertical
sync?  ISTR that, on a TV, the TV often has to roll the picture back into
place after the computer is done making its move.

I would expect that any TV (except Eckhard's ;) ) should be able to roll
the picture back into place after a momentary hiccup in VSync.  After all,
it has to synchronize to the sync signal when powering up or changing
channels.

Blanking the output for a frame probably is the better solution, though.