Re: Re: [stella] [POLL] What is everybody working on?

Subject: Re: Re: [stella] [POLL] What is everybody working on?
From: "Patrick Lichty" <voyd@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 06:23:01 -0600
Hi, all.

This is the first time I've ever posted, but I wanted to chime in with what
I'm up to, if nothing else, to try to add to the conversation.

As an FYI, I'm a fine artist with two degrees in engineering, a minor in
Asian Studies, and some grad research in sociology and philosophy, but
programming tends to be my weak point (but i had 8086 and 6502 asm training
in the 80's), so I admit that my chops will likely be far inferior to most
of yours.

One fo the biggest problems with electronic art, and software art for that
matter, is the fact that it doesn't make an 'object' for the gallery as
such, and platforms that show it change so fast that it's difficult to
convince gallery owners to run it.  Also, things like the Atari are
technically 'dead' (or more correctly, 'static') platforms that don't change
much over time, and are in relatively good supply yet.

So my idea is to explore (given my good degree of knowledge of the AT800
platform and its similarities structurally to an overblown 2600) to create
software-based 'art objects'  using primarily frankensteined assembly code.
<ight be mini-games, graphics hacks of existing games, possibly graphics,
who knows.

Right now I'm exploring my tools and I just got an EPROM burner (SPEP-Plus),
and am trying to figure that one out, as the documentation for that is
really sketchy.  Going to AtariAge soon and get a few Rom boards, and
already have a couple SUperchargers for testing.

So 'Hi" and hope to talk with you all in the future.
Patrick Lichty
Baton Rouge, Louisiana.