Re: [stella] 11 Invaders "Reloaded"

Subject: Re: [stella] 11 Invaders "Reloaded"
From: Albert Yarusso <albert@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 03:00:32 -0600
Greetings,

On Nov 27, 2003, at 2:42 AM, Thomas Jentzsch wrote:

100% agreed. If I'll make a game out of it, there will be a mode that
will matches the arcade as close as possible on the Atari 2600. But I
am planning to include a lot of variations, like in Space Invaders 2600
(depending on the ROM/RAM space). And maybe we'll find find some
new variation ideas while discussing.

I do agree that this project is really only worth pursuing if you're going to either make it match the arcade game as closely as possible, or make a genuinely different game. if you're to do both by adding variations to a game that matches the arcade as faithfully as possible, all the better. :)

I am not sure about the bunkers yet. My old demo featured 3 quite
larger bunkers, while the original arcade game had 4 of them, which
would be ~11(?) pixels wide when converted to the 2600.

So what would be better, 3 x 15 pixel bunkers or 4 x 8 pixel bunkers?

Since the arcade has 4 bunkers, I believe this version should have four. Otherwise you're already making sacrifices against the goal of trying to be as close to the arcade game as possible.

Albert wrote:
I haven't had a chance to try it yet--I will endeavor to do so soon.
:)  Since you said it doesn't work well in emulation, I need to try it
on a real system..

Definitely, but I hope "someone" will improve one of the existing emulators soon.

It seems the emulators are only being updated when someone comes up with new techniques to break the existing emulators.. <grin>

..Al