[stella] I need a little direction for Climber 5??

Subject: [stella] I need a little direction for Climber 5??
From: Dennis Debro <ddebro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 16:59:48 -0500
Hi all,

I'm at a point where I need direction again as to which way to go with this game. I went with Thomas' suggestion of having the girders move the obstacles as they fall and think this works great. I like it better than having then bounce and change direction when they hit a walkway. Plus that technique would sort push the game closer to another A8 game named Desmond's Dungeon :-)

I have 2 versions here...
1) the obstacles are pushed by the girders
2) where they do a sort of bounce

With bounce I mean they change horizontal direction when they hit a girder and their direction won't change again until they hit a girder moving in the opposite direction.

The bounce feature makes the game a little harder. So why not add it to the difficulty switch? Well for one I'm running out of ROM space (typical excuse). The other is I want to limit the difficulty switches only to player 1. I don't want to overload the player. I already have the left difficulty switch turning off the girder change direction warning. Would adding the bounce effect be too much?

Tell me what you think.

I'm so very close to finishing this now. Next is to have a better object spawning algorithm and a few more bonus items. Then it's fine tuning like changing the walking sound, right Manuel ;-)

Take care,
Dennis