Re: [stella] Wide Missile Spacing?

Subject: Re: [stella] Wide Missile Spacing?
From: Manuel Rotschkar <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 09:51:53 +0100
Hi Glenn!

>> Unfortunately no. The mode "double width & triple
>> copies" does not exist.

> It would be a nice feature for a TIA+, however.

Yet this is a thing I wouldn't do. You could probably
double the modes here just by adding D3, but I'd bet
there's at least some 5-20 games already in the original
library setting D3 acccidently to '1' resulting in
totally unpredictable results on a TIA+.

Only way around this was probably really finding a way
for having the TIA run in either classic or extended
mode.

I also spent some more thought's on the 2 TIA idea I
had. (Basically I thought to connect an additional real
TIA to the shadowed registers)

Main problem here is original games using the shadow
locations already. So you'd have to feed the RIOT chip
with both collision detection results ORed (Hm... or
maybe ANDed if it's low active...) hm... uhm...
combined.

Well, no matter if you're using TIA1 or TIA2 _only_, you
need to get the original collission detection output as
if it was the only TIA in the system.

Well, you can solve the wiring issues I assume, but if
programming a 2 TIA game, you'd need to write software
collission detection.

Similar problems with the PF. both TIAs PF outputs would
need to work as single master, so it's again using
either TIA1 or TIA2 only, or introducing a mixing mode
where one TIA is outputting the left and the other the
right side.

Greetings,
	Manuel