Re: [stella] tia hue luminance

Subject: Re: [stella] tia hue luminance
From: Adam Wozniak <adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 08:11:17 -0800 (PST)
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Glenn Saunders wrote:
> At 08:05 AM 12/10/2003, you wrote:
> >The only way to get a true white for col=0 lu=7 is to use a ypmult >= 1/14.
> >This tends to wash out the other colors though.
>
> What do you consider a true white?
>
> I know from my Toaster/Flyer days that you can't generate a video-legal RGB
> 255,255,255.  The top end of composite video is something around 190-220 or
> so.  I can't remember the actual cutoff.  Beyond that it generates IRE
> values above the legal threshold.
>
> NTSC has a compressed colorspace and therefore can not generate a full
> 24-bit display.  The blacks are not true black and the whites are not true
> white.  I think the blackest black in NTSC is something around 34,34,34.

Eric Ball's equations yeild #000000 for col=0,lu=0 (blackest black)
and #A0A0A0 for col=0,lu=7 (whitest white).

Before your post, I would have expected them to range from #000000 to
#FFFFFF, because I'm a sort of an algorithmic purist.  But now I see we're
trying to emulate real hardware, or idealized real hardware, or some similar
critter, and I have no clue what to expect.

> Now, it's been stated on multiple occasions that the 2600 doesn't generate
> a totally in-spec NTSC signal so I'm not sure if its blackest black and its
> whitest white even conforms to NTSC guidelines.

Which makes it even worse.

--
adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx        http://cuddlepuddle.org/~adam/pgp.html
Will code for food.          http://cuddlepuddle.org/~adam/resume.html