Re: [stella] kernal klunk

Subject: Re: [stella] kernal klunk
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 10:16:45 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> it's funny, I used to be really paranoid about page boundaries...
> I made up a perl script to analyze and find cross-page jumps,

As much as I love perl scripts (and I really do!), dasm can already do
this for you.

> Guess I should do some .ORGing to put my kernal at the begining of
> page, and then JMP to that location as the last instruction at the very
> end of the VBLANK? Is that a good method for dealing with this,
> easier than rejiggering a kernal?

Instead of ORG, use ALIGN...

 org $f000

; init and vblank code here
; ...
 sta VBLANK ; end of vertical blank
waste jmp kernel

; there may be room here for a small table or something

 align 256
kernel
 ; kernel code here
 ; ...
 ; ...
end_kernel
 ; overscan code here

; then, anywhere you want in the .asm file:

 echo "Kernel alignment wastes",kernel-waste,"bytes"

 ; who needs a perl script?
 if (>kernel != >end_kernel)
  echo "WARNING: Kernel crosses a page boundary!"
 endif

...then, you'll see the messages during assembly:

$ dasm testasm.asm -otmp.bin -f3
DASM V2.20.09, Macro Assembler (C)1988-2003
 Kernel alignment wastes $0 bytes
 WARNING: Kernel crosses a page boundary!
Complete.

One minor annoyance is that you'll see them multiple times (once per pass
the assembler makes), but it's not a big deal.

If you really wanted to be ambitious, you could write macros that replace
the BNE, BPL, etc. instructions, that calculate whether or not the branch
crosses a page boundary and prints out a warning if so. I've never done
this, but it might look like:

 mac pbne
  bne {1}
  if (>* != >{1})
   echo "WARNING: BNE at",*-2,"crosses page boundary!"
  endif
 endm

This would be more useful if dasm had a way to reference the current
source file and line number (like __LINE__ and __FILE__ in C). Maybe it
does have something like that, but I couldn't find it in my admittedly
quick look at dasm.doc just now.

Hope this helps...

--
B.