Re: Re: [stella] kernal klunk

Subject: Re: Re: [stella] kernal klunk
From: Dennis Debro <ddebro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 9:40:29 -0500
Hi Kirk,

> Guess I should do some .ORGing to put my kernal at the begining of page, and
> then JMP to that location as the last instruction at the very end of the
> VBLANK? Is that a good method for dealing with this, easier than rejiggering > a kernal?

I've adopted the style of having the main game kernel at the beginning of the ROM. Still I have some branch issues in Climber but I've compensated for them (adding in the extra cycle count). I don't like having the kernel this unstable but for now it works. It is marked to be addressed in my clean up session.

If you're using the technique used by Nick then you can place your kernel anyway since you'd be doing jsr to it anyway.

Alternatively you could structure you're ROM and main loop like...

   org $F000
MainLoop
GameKernel
Overscan
VerticalBlank
jmp MainLoop
Start

There is no set pattern as long as all the routines get called. BTW, Garry Kitchen would start his main loops with the overscan processing.

Take care,
Dennis