Re: [stella] Atari Age mod contests

Subject: Re: [stella] Atari Age mod contests
From: Christopher Tumber <christophertumber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:25:30 -0500
>2) I'd be happy if someone wants to port my editor to the Mac next time
>around.

Ya know, it seems to me this is exactly the kind of thing that could really benefit by being written in something like Javascript, Java or even Flash/Shockwave. These kind of tools generally require only very, very limited functionality and there's really no reason to lock yourself into VB (or whatever) when you can use something that's far more portable and will do the job just fine.

I wrote a level editor for Fade Out that's in Javascript so that Adam could mess around with level design a bit (and with an eye to eventually opening it up to the general public in something similar to these mod contests). I went with Javascript because it's so near universal and so easy to work in. It's a little unconventional in that it emails the results to you (no other way I could see saving the data, other than sending it to a CGI script, which would require access to a central server and/or wipe out portability - neither of which would be a good thing) but it works just fine and should be usable by just about anybody with a moden browser. (Assuming you have your browser configured to allow emailing of forms).

I've attached it, so you all can see this is very do-able.

Chris...