[stella] Distella for OS X

Subject: [stella] Distella for OS X
From: Ruffin Bailey <rufbo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 00:45:58 -0500
On Friday, February 27, 2004, at 12:06 AM, Glenn Saunders wrote:

I'd love to see OSX versions of all the tools. I'd like to one day shake loose of Wintel completely and would want those tools to be there at that time.

Welp, I think you've got 'em. Tried building distella with gcc straight out of the box and got some error about main not returning an int. Opened up Project Builder to see what C syntax looked like, added a return (always 0 now) and got a simple build of distella for OS X rolling.

You *should* be able to get the attached build to work by slapping it in a directory and navigating in Terminal to that directory and typing...

./distella yourBin.bin

Puts the disassembly out in standard out. Just typing in "./distella" doesn't give a friendly message -- just a "Bus error". Typing...

./distella -pafs test.bin > test.s

does exactly what you'd hope.

Anyhow, that's my first exposure to C code at all (excepting when I did a similarly thorough job compiling distella for OS 7-8) and I really didn't even take a look at the code. Your mileage may vary, etc. I can't think of any reason this bin wouldn't work on any other OS X box. If I guess correctly, since distella is disassembling, there aren't any endian issues, etc, which is all there really is difficult about OS X builds of things anyhow (at least that was the issue back when DAsm first hit the Mac), so this is a pretty straightfoward compile and not even a port on any level.

I'll try and update the Mactari pages next week.

Ruffin Bailey