Re: Aw: RE: [stella] signed 8-bit comparisons?

Subject: Re: Aw: RE: [stella] signed 8-bit comparisons?
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 5 Mar 2004 14:06:58 -0000
> Hi there!
>
> > For timing critical code like that, you may want to use my CHECKPAGE macro:
>
> Sounds like a useful addition to macro.h :-)

Huh, haven't seen the msg you're responding to show up yet :-/

I did have one macro someone showed me, to align the kernal and
print up how much space was wasted.

Incidentally, as a hopeful soon to be graduate of the
"school of hard 6507 knocks", I'd like to make a follow up
to 2600 101, maybe 2600 102...
- subpixel motion
- exact horizontal positioning
- music basics
- big playfield assymetrical graphic
- also 48 pixel player graphics if I can work it out :-)
- mention cleverness like slocum's double P0 kernal for JP
- PCAEwin debugger / listfile
- flicker vs / intelligent sprite reuse;
- that 6502 simulator I've started using for working out isolated bits
   (that should maybe go into 2600 101, actually)
- COMPARISONS (like 6502.org tutorials page)
- tricks like using PF or player graphics for a binary read out
- page alignment issues...

Some of these things fall under the category of "snippets".
I really miss the old Dig. No offense meant to Saunder's
work to revive it as an enhanced stella search engine (I
especially like the poster summary page) but the old Dig had
so many hand crafted little bits, little demo programs, that
were a serious inspiration to me when I was just starting out.
(of course, some of those bits were dangerous to use, with
poor programming practices and bugs) I've tried to capture
that feeling of "look...here's a simple program YOU can compile
and run and modify" in 2600 101, and 2600 102 would try
to further that.

Dangnabbit, just for historical reasons I wish someone could
track down Garon Grainger and see if he has the files. There
were some really neat demos released in the first few years
of stella.

DEFEAT "For every winner, there are dozens of losers.
          Odds are you're one of them." --Demotivators, http://despair.com