Re: [stella] Cybertech Videoboard

Subject: Re: [stella] Cybertech Videoboard
From: Chris Wilkson <ecwilkso@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:14:43 -0500 (EST)
I've found that the socketed chip sets are kinda hit and miss.  It is hard
to find a cut off point for socket vs. no socket.  I think I did say at one
point on Atariage that not all TIAs are socketed, but I couldn't really
nail it down.

In general:
 6 switchers are socketed.
 most woodies are socketed.
 my only Vader is socketed, but that doesn't make a legit data sample.
 almost all JRs are NOT socketed, but I have seen more than one with sockets.

These are not rules...Atari went through too many management and design
changes to be consistent.  :(

Regarding the color issues.  Is it ghosting, bleeding, or both?  The
difference is that ghosting is actually a duplicated image while bleeding
is a single smeared image.  You can help bleeding by turning down the
saturation on the CyberTech card.  Same effect as turning down the "color"
control on your TV.  I would be really surprised if there is any ghosting.

One other possibility is a color blip.  (my own non-technical term)
This occurs when the 2600 switches from one color value to another.
Color is encoded as phase in the chroma signal.  A sample chroma waveform
is shown below, with 3 examples of a color change:

/\    /\    /\  /\    /\    /\      /\    /\    /\  _    /\    /\
  \  /  \  /  \/  \  /  \  /  \    /  \  /  \  /  \ |\  /  \  /

               |<-- 120 deg.     |<-- 240 deg.      |<-- 240 deg.

The runt peaks in the first 2 examples might not be detected, resulting
in a single gray pixel (no color).  The 3rd example could result in a
completely unintentional color for one pixel.  Check the right side of
the trees in Pitfall II for the gray pixel effect.  This kind of thing
can't be helped, no matter what you do.

If you can be a little more specific on the things you're seeing, I'll
be able to give more help.

-Chris