Re: [stella] Dasm for Linux

Subject: Re: [stella] Dasm for Linux
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 11:35:27 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Andrew Davie wrote:

> Thanks, any help is welcome -- and I do appreciate your comments and
> suggestions.  A patch file isn't much good for me, as I don't have the tools
> to apply the patch -- and in any case I'd like to understand what changes
> are being made before they're actually implemented.

The `patch' program has been around as freeware for 15-20 years now, and
been ported to every OS anybody could ever need it for..

If you're on Windows, you have quite a few options... The
easiest to deal with looks like the `GNU Utilities for Win32' from
http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/, which don't depend on any non-standard
windows DLLs. If you have trouble with that, you could try Cygwin or
Mingw. All 3 of these are free software, so there's no reason to not
have the tool you need to apply the patch.

I'm sort of surprised you don't have a nice GUI tool for generating and
applying patches as part of Visual Studio or something. I can't imagine
doing any kind of collaborative coding effort without an easy & standard
way to pass around patches (of course, proper version control is better,
but not always practical... I don't suppose you're interested in setting
up a CVS repository for Dasm?)

--
B.