OT: patch , Dasm WAS: [stella] Dasm for Linux

Subject: OT: patch , Dasm WAS: [stella] Dasm for Linux
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 29 Mar 2004 16:32:10 -0000
> On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 10:01, Andrew Davie wrote:
> > I had no way of knowing, as I'm not familiar with the "patch" file method or
> > format.
>
> ....er.
>
> I'm boggled.
>
> This is pretty much the only way to maintain stuff in the Unix world and
> I figured it would have pretty close analogues in the rest of the
> world.  How does it work elsewhere?

Patch is younger than Unix...best guess I could come
up with is mid-80s, by Larry Wall (of Perl fame) and Unix was around
before that.

Most of the rest of the world doesn't have Unix's rich code sharing
tradition. I think binary-only distributions are the norm elsewhere.

Though yeah, diff output/patch input is pretty human-readable, even
to me who has never worked with it before (also with my crappy
mailreader, I just saw it as inline text) But it sounds like we're
all in harmony again re: the maintenence of DASM.  The community
thanks you for doing that, Andrew. It's a vital tool.

(Actually, what are the other assemblers out there?
And what else is Dasm used for these days?  Just old homebrew
type stuff, or does it have other less retro uses?)

Love is two crickets hopping in the same direction --W.T.Vollmann