Re: [stella] Reflex: Source of PAIN!

Subject: Re: [stella] Reflex: Source of PAIN!
From: Albert Yarusso <albert@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 01:56:54 -0500
Lee,

I just spent a few minutes playing--at this rate of development, I have a feeling the game is going to be finished when I wake up in the morning!! :)

On Apr 5, 2004, at 1:41 AM, Lee Fastenau wrote:

Real quick, I doubled the vertical resolution of the controller icons and
gave them some texture. Attached is the new binary. Hit Select to view the
different controller configurations (joystick or driving controller).

Very nice!

I originally opted for the steering wheel icon because the grand prix icon
that's on the actual controller was difficult to replicate in an 8x8 grid.
Now that it's 8x16, it might make more sense to do that. What do you think?

If you can do the same icon that's on the driving controllers that might look good, but the steering wheel works well also.

Two comments:

1) Sometimes the ball is unbearably slow. When this happened, I opted to simply lose the ball to get a faster one the next time out. :)
2) I managed once to hit the ball against the edge of the paddle (when the paddle was horizontal), and it got "stuck" until I moved the paddle again (it was vibrating madly).
3) I love Breakout-style games and have professed my desire to program an Arkanoid game someday for the 2600. I would not be adverse if someone else did it. :) :)

 ..Al
Albert Yarusso, http://www.AtariAge.com
Atari News, Forums, Media, Guides, and more!