Re: [stella] My New Project - RRampage.bin

Subject: Re: [stella] My New Project - RRampage.bin
From: Erik Mooney <erik@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 12:17:07 -0400
"Lee Fastenau" <stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>And it has spoken!  Stunning.  Have you been working on this for very long?

Conceptually, planning out how to do the kernel, a couple years.  Actual
code, a couple weeks. :)

>That may answer a nagging question I had...  Is there no way to conceal the
>HMOVE artifacts on the left edge of the screen?

Nope.  You can't use any object to cover up the HMOVE blank area - the
TIA"s entire output, even COLUBK, is suppressed.  One way around it is to
HMOVE on every single line whether you need to or not; that makes an
entire column of black so there aren't any visual artifacts.  River Raid
does this.

Another, more exotic, way is to call HMOVE at the *end* of the previous
scanline rather than the beginning as you're supposed to.  That shifts the
HMOVE blank leftwards off the visible screen.  I might eventually try to
do this, though the timing would be quite tricky.