Re: [stella] Announce: Z26 on Linux!

Subject: Re: [stella] Announce: Z26 on Linux!
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 11:12:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Stephen Anthony wrote:

> Good luck.  I've been trying to testers for the past year for Stella.
> Either nobody is interested in testing, or nobody is interested in
> Stella.  Maybe I should do a 1.4 pre-release and see if it generates
> some interest ...

Well, I am interested in Stella. I've been using it since something like
version 0.7, and I read your CVS log emails with interest. At one point
I was working on a debugger for Stella, but it's on hold until I learn
to code proper C++ (instead of coding as though I were using C).

(Actually, I'd better hurry up & learn C++, I'm supposedly teaching it
to a friend of mine :)

Also, nobody on this list seemed too enthusiastic about a command-line,
text-mode debugger with a UI like the DOS DEBUG command... which is what
I was working on, because I'm GUI-challenged.

Actually, I've got an idea about debugging... why not use a network
protocol, and have Stella and Z26 both implement it? That way,
anyone could write a client, with any UI desired. It would be an ASCII
line-oriented protocol, like STMP or POP3, easy to implement, with an
RFC-style specification... abstract enough that any 2600 emulator should
be able to implement the server side (though probably not abstract enough
for other (non-2600) emulators to use!)

This would be pretty far in the future (after the Z26
codebase stabilizes, and after the next release of Stella).

What do you think?

--
B.