Re: [stella] Announce: z26 on Linux!

Subject: Re: [stella] Announce: z26 on Linux!
From: Stephen Anthony <stephena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 00:36:37 -0230
On April 17, 2004 05:32 pm, John Saeger wrote:

> > But I'd want to keep the name as KStella, since that's what is was
> > called before I started working on it.
>
> [snip]
>
> So what would you call the resulting emulator if you accomplish what
> you proposed in a message on Mar 15, 2004 where you said:
>
> "I've come to the conclusion that the only way to do it is port the
> relevant sections of z26 to C or C++ and integrate it into Stella."
>
> given that the original emulator was called "z26"?

I don't understand what this has to do with anything.  Look, maybe we
started out on the wrong foot or something, so I want to set straight
any problems before they start.

I was talking about porting very specific parts of the TIA sound code to
Stella.  Since the relevant code in both emulators is based on Ron
Fries original code, and the stuff is under GPL, I thought that was
acceptable.

I have the sound code working quite well in Stella for Linux, but the
Windows Stella port (same code) is somewhat lacking.  You have the
sound code working quite well in z26 for Windows, but the same code is
somewhat lacking in z26 for Linux.  I don't think it takes a rocket
scientist to see what I'm getting at here.  Obviously, you, Eckhard, or
someone else figured out some 'magic' to get sound working correctly in
z26, and I was trying to port *that* so that Stella for Windows sounded
better.  I (or more appropriately, Brad Mott) have the sound code
working better in Linux, so you might possibly be interested in that.

As for the KStella issue, you may not have realized, but I was actually
offering to integrate z26 functionality into KStella, and I would
maintain the code myself.  Now if someone wants to take KStella, rename
it, and change it to use z26 instead, then more power to them.  I'll
answer any questions they may have.  But whatever anyone thinks, having
two emulator frontends that do exactly the same thing and are based on
exactly the same code is a huge waste of resources.  If someone wants
to do it, fine.  Now specifically about the name; I didn't create
KStella, I only added many features and currently maintain it.  It's
approaching a 1.0 release, and I wouldn't change the name for the sake
of adding a new feature.  That's all I meant.

Again, I sense from some people that there is animosity.  I want to make
clear that I don't care what other people do.  If they need my help,
I'll gladly give it.  If not, I'll step aside and let them do their own
thing.  And that applies to both Stella and KStella.

Steve