Re: [stella] Announce: z26 on Linux!

Subject: Re: [stella] Announce: z26 on Linux!
From: John Saeger <johnws8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 23:09:53 -0700
On Sat, 2004-04-17 at 20:06, Stephen Anthony wrote:

> I don't understand what this has to do with anything.  Look, maybe we
> started out on the wrong foot or something, so I want to set straight
> any problems before they start.

There's no problem.  It's not like I'm trying to be rude or anything.
Of course, I don't exactly have to try for it to happen.  ;-)

> I was talking about porting very specific parts of the TIA sound code to
> Stella.  Since the relevant code in both emulators is based on Ron
> Fries original code, and the stuff is under GPL, I thought that was
> acceptable.

z26 is GPL.  We went GPL before PCAE did and before Stella did.  So
yeah, help yourself.  Even John Dullea helped himself to our sound code.

> I have the sound code working quite well in Stella for Linux, but the
> Windows Stella port (same code) is somewhat lacking.  You have the
> sound code working quite well in z26 for Windows, but the same code is
> somewhat lacking in z26 for Linux.  I don't think it takes a rocket
> scientist to see what I'm getting at here.  Obviously, you, Eckhard, or
> someone else figured out some 'magic' to get sound working correctly in
> z26, and I was trying to port *that* so that Stella for Windows sounded
> better.  I (or more appropriately, Brad Mott) have the sound code
> working better in Linux, so you might possibly be interested in that.

Maybe.  But for the time being that's up to Bryan.  It's been a long
time since I've looked at Stella.  I think I've got something called
Stella 96 (0.2).  A Bradford W. Mott production in association with
Seunghee Lee.  Do you know where I can get version 0.1?  That would be
cool.  The earliest versions are sometimes the most interesting.

> As for the KStella issue, you may not have realized, but I was actually
> offering to integrate z26 functionality into KStella, and I would
> maintain the code myself.  Now if someone wants to take KStella, rename
> it, and change it to use z26 instead, then more power to them.  I'll
> answer any questions they may have.  But whatever anyone thinks, having
> two emulator frontends that do exactly the same thing and are based on
> exactly the same code is a huge waste of resources.  If someone wants
> to do it, fine.  Now specifically about the name; I didn't create
> KStella, I only added many features and currently maintain it.  It's
> approaching a 1.0 release, and I wouldn't change the name for the sake
> of adding a new feature.  That's all I meant.

Fair enough.

> Again, I sense from some people that there is animosity.  I want to make
> clear that I don't care what other people do.  If they need my help,
> I'll gladly give it.  If not, I'll step aside and let them do their own
> thing.  And that applies to both Stella and KStella.

Animosity?  Nah.

John