Re: Question about your VCS simulator [ Was Re: [stella] TIA Playfield Painter V1.02 Released]

Subject: Re: Question about your VCS simulator [ Was Re: [stella] TIA Playfield Painter V1.02 Released]
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 5 May 2004 20:37:34 -0000

> How compatible is the code with the actual 6507/TIA?  It seems to be the
> closest thing to a full devkit anyone has done, and combined with your other
> tools intrigues me, but can the results eventually be converted into an
> actual cart or is it a horse of a completely different color?

I havent explored any "code generating" abilities of the tool
(though I've written some similar stuff myself w/ the leprechaun
editor) but while it's feasible and in some ways useful to be
able to generate working, compilable code (great for learning how
to draw a playfield)
and someone could then put that binary onto a cart, you'd just
have a simple static display on a cart.    Cool, but not that
interesting.

For the foreseeable future, the "dev kit" will be DASM plus
a good text editor, ideally one that does syntax color, and eith
batch files or in-editor-compilation scripts, plus an emulator.
Tools like this one (and similar ones I've made myself,
PlayerPal / PlayfieldPal on http://alienbill.com/2600/
can be very useful, but for any non-trivial game, there's
still plenty of coding to be done.

Two thoughts for my fellow [stella]-ites:
random idea: make a generic gunfight-like kernal, and tie
it into an online player editor, and let people make their
own custom head to head shooter with any 8*N graphic they
can come up with...(and also a title screen generator)
autogenerate binaries, and then maybe work out a deal w/ AtariAge
to let people make their own one off carts, all online.
(maybe optionally uploading graphics for the cart art..)
Kind of a highly automated graphical-Hack generator
Whaddya think, Al, would that be fun and/or profitable?

The other thought:: look, can someone tell me, did I
imagine this utility that let you enter note data, and then
the program would spit out frequency suggestions based
on a closest fit algorithm?  Maybe JoustPong's tune was
so simple (C, Eb, D, Db) that I could find good matches
easily just by looking at the generated frequency charts,
http://alienbill.com/2600/cookbook/music/slocum.txt or
http://alienbill.com/2600/cookbook/music/stolberg.txt
Anyway, that's another utility that, if it doesn't exist,
needs writing...

 "Sometimes your shallowness is so thorough, it's almost like depth."--Daria