RE: [stella] Variable flicker vs. intelligent flicker

Subject: RE: [stella] Variable flicker vs. intelligent flicker
From: "Dennis Debro" <debrodennis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 08:12:50 -0400
Hi there,

> > Lock 'n Chase is a good example of this trick. Very clever!
>
> I had never looked at that game before. Wow! Try to get 3 enemies in the
> same zone :-) This is exactly what I was thinking too. I forgot about
> Super
> Football like Glenn mentioned.

I thought about this again and although those are good examples of reducing
flicker it's not quite what I was thinking about. I guess I was excited to
see no flicker in Lock 'n Chase :-)

As I said these are good examples of reducing flicker but the sprite
animation is the same. What if you had different sprites? Using Keystone
Kapers as I mentioned earlier let's say you had to display a ball, shopping
cart, radio, and Keystone Kelly all in the same zone. Using an "intelligent
flicker" this could yield a 50 hertz flicker vs. a 20 hertz flicker. Has
anyone seen a game that does something like this?

Take care,
Dennis