Re: [stella] Reflex: To NTSC/PAL50/PAL60, or not to NTSC/PAL50/PAL60

Subject: Re: [stella] Reflex: To NTSC/PAL50/PAL60, or not to NTSC/PAL50/PAL60
From: Erik Mooney <erik@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 13:36:29 -0400
>That's generally the problem with the non-toggle console switches, including
>the difficulty switches: it requires the user to alter the state of their
>system from what they might consider the "normal" state.  For many, that
>might be Color and both difficulty switches set to A.

I'd recommend the method that I used in INV (thanks to Adam's post for
inspiring it, of course.)  Three video modes, NTSC (default at bootup),
PAL-50, and PAL-60.  Cycling the video mode is done when the switch
changes from B/W to Color.  So basically, you flip the switch from Color
to B/W and then back to Color to change modes once.  Essentially, this
treats the Color/BW switch as a momentary switch like Select and Reset.

So NTSC users (the most common case) don't have to worry about anything at
all, since the game will always just boot up in NTSC and stay there.  PAL
users can cycle the switch down and up once to get to PAL-50 or twice to
get to PAL-60.  Everyone that's commented on it in INV likes it. :)