Re: [stella] Reflex: Online level editor

Subject: Re: [stella] Reflex: Online level editor
From: "Eduardo Mello" <vgbelloq@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 11:19:39 -0300
Hi!

Well, I don't know if I am saying anything stupid here but I like to use a simple compression algorithm with my games. Here is the idea:

- a sequence is started by a "operator" byte and followed by one or more data bytes.
- a sequence started with operator X, where X is a byte between 01h and 7Fh, indicates the next byte must be repeated X times.
- a sequence started with operator Y, where Y is a byte between 81h and FFh, indicates the next Z bytes, where Z is Y minus 80h, must be used "as is".
- 00h is a special operator which indicates end of data.
- I use 80h to set a new destination address to my transfer, so the two bytes following it become a 16 bits address.

Probably not as good as your Huffman algorithm but maybe useful for simpler applications... Again, please forgive me if it is too obvious or widely known...

Eduardo

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lee Fastenau" <stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>