Jumpman: Easy Does It

Subject: Jumpman: Easy Does It
From: Manuel Rotschkar <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 18:24:35 +0200
Hi there!

Finally gave it a first try. Nothing special, basically the first Jumpman level structure converted to PF, using Christian Bogeys Playfield Painter source to display it.

Spent almost three hours on this (Using atari800, PSP, GIF Movie Gear, Eckhards PCX conversion tools & Textpad...) I definitely need to find ways to simplify tasks here, or I'll go crazy when doing that for the remaining 41 levels as well...

Doing the ladders with the PF is a tough descission, and I just wanted to see what it'd look like :-)

Not that bad I think. At least the structure matches 100% to the Atari 800 screen, so the gameplay IMHO would be 100% intact in the port.

Now P0 can be used for Jumpman, P1 can do all enemy sprites and I think one could write a "particle" engine that can multiplex both missiles and the ball for any up/down ropes and the bombs, just where they're needed.
As is, a mirrored level PF layout fits in a page at 249 bytes.

There's a few levels remaining that are IMHO not properly doable on the VCS though, basically the ones with too much structure changes, like "Mystery Maze", "Blackout" or "Hot Foot" for example.

Greetings,
Manuel