Re: [stella] AtariVox EEPROM file format

Subject: Re: [stella] AtariVox EEPROM file format
From: "Eckhard Stolberg" <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 22:02:59 +0100
Cool, but I'd suggest changing Lee's mapping to put the numbers
first.  Text systems often need to display numeric data within the text,
and that's sometimes easier if the numbers come first.

0-9 : 0-9
A-Z : 10-36
_   : 37

That's a good idea. I'll also cover decimal and hexadeximal numbers. That's good too.

As I said, I think people will really get a kick out of having a DOS
filename format on the Atari 2600. But in addition, some programs may have
different versions and use numbers in the filetype. Like one version of my
sequencer may use SQ1 and a later release may use SQ2. In this case it'll
be a little nicer to have 3 characters.

If you think you'll release an updated version with a change in the file format, you could just reserve a "version" byte in your filestructure without forcing everyone else to waste a byte in the filename too. ;o) But if people really like DOS filenames, I think they should fet them. ;-)

Kinda seems like more trouble than it's worth to me.

OK, we'll go with the MSB in the first byte in the file type prefix for identifying used blocks then.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg