Re: Aw: Re: Aw: Re: [stella] Jumpman Experiment

Subject: Re: Aw: Re: Aw: Re: [stella] Jumpman Experiment
From: "Dennis Debro" <dennis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 12:43:04 -0800 (PST)
Hi Manuel,

> I'm a bit clueless here anyway, what would you guys think about collission
> detection for a Jumpman level? Just to have him move around. How for
> example could he walk up or down a ramp or detect that he's near enough to
> a ladder now?

I wouldn't use collision detection for this. If you did that then the
Jumpman could "hang" off a ladder and still climb. Also, how would you
determine he climbed too far vs. the player pushing up in open space? I
thought about doing collision detection for Climber 5 but it wouldn't have
worked out. The most obvious reason was because my ladders didn't extend
past the platform so the player wouldn't be able to climb down.

I'd recommend doing calculations to determine if he's climbing a ladder or
walking up/down a platform.

This is how Garry did it for Donkey Kong too and I think it worked great.

Take care,
Dennis