Re: [stella] Games using unofficial opcodes

Subject: Re: [stella] Games using unofficial opcodes
From: "Fred Quimby" <c9r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 23:46:17 -0400
I searched some early-mid 80's USENET archives and found that Compute and
Byte both had such articles.  I couldn't find the actual articles or even
which issues had them, though.

Also interesting is some apocryphal talk about opcode $12.  I found
references to this jokingly called "HCF" meaning Hold and Catch Fire.
Supposedly this opcode was used for chip testing.  The references state that
this halts the machine, and cycles through all addresses $0-$FFFF and
repeats infinitely.  But this operation is reportedly very intensive, such
that if it is run like this for a few hours, the chip will supposedly get
hot and possibly start to smoke...

Someone with a scope or logic analyzer could easily test this for us.