Re: [stella] Stella 2.0 Alpha 2 available

Subject: Re: [stella] Stella 2.0 Alpha 2 available
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 21:04:00 -0400
On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, Kirk Israel wrote:

> I'll be interested if anyone can get this Battlezone one to work:
> Battlezone
> Frying may cause the mountains to be flattened, or on rare occasions,
> infinite lives.

Works in current Stella CVS. In fact it's not even rare: I've just
tried it 3 times in a row, and all 3 times I was able to do it.

> That was my submission and while it's extremely rare, I did see the
> infinite lives once, word of honor.  Though I might've been mistaken
> about "Infinite", maybe it was just a larger amount than could be
> displayed, like an underflow to 255 or somesuch.

It was an overflow/underflow. I fried until I saw either 6 or zero lives
icons below the score. When it's zero, the first time you get killed,
it becomes 6... but it's a lot more than 6 (that's why it stays 6 even
after getting killed several times). When it starts out with 6 showing,
there's no way to know how many lives you have (6 or more, for sure).

So, you fry until (a) the game starts by itself, and (b) you see 0 or
6 lives.

This is just the sort of thing the Cheat widget is meant for. I used
it to search for the lives counter... it turns out to be at $BA. This
gets reset to 5 on game start, which is why you have to fry until the
game starts itself (there'll be some other location that means "we're
in game mode", the frying is changing that, too).

Now what I need to do is dig one of my real 2600s out from under the
geological strata of old clothes in the closet and see how hard it is
to do for real :)

BTW, Fred, if you're reading this: I took your suggestion and made the
frying happen every frame while the key is held down. It seems a little
easier to use this way, as long as I limit myself to short bursts.

--
B.