Re: [stella] Emulator detection

Subject: Re: [stella] Emulator detection
From: Adam Thornton <adam@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 13:14:45 -0400
On Jul 4, 2005, at 11:34 AM, Eric Ball wrote:

> However, I am surprised by the number of people who have purchased
> Skeleton
> and Skeleton+ even though the ROM images are freely available.  I
> sometimes
> wonder if I would have gotten the same response if it was only
> available in
> cartridge form.

I can answer this: no.

Here's how I know.

When I went with Pack Rat to publish Fellowship of the Ring, one of
the enticements was that I could pick a cartridge out of their
lineup, to see the production quality and reassure myself that I'd be
happy having them publish.

Because I'd played Skeleton via emulation, I knew that it was a fun
game, and so that was the one I chose.

Now maybe that doesn't quite count as a sale, since I got it free,
and I don't know whether you receive royalties on promo copies, but
the fact is, that if I hadn't played it beforehand, I would have
picked something else that I knew I was going to like.

Adam