Re: [stella] Emulator detection

Subject: Re: [stella] Emulator detection
From: "Alex Herbert" <herbs64@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 14:27:48 -0400
> An anonymous source (I will let him identify himself if he so
> desires) has just sent me a binary which effectively allows
> code to determine if it is running on an emulator or not.  I am
> not making this up.  This binary will work both on Stella and
> Z26 (both latest versions) and allows the code to quickly
> determine if it is running on the real thing.

I know a way to detect Z26.  I stumbled upon it while working with the
AtariVox.  (The high score tiable in MGD should not show without an AtariVox
connected - works fine on the real hardware and in Stella, but it still
displays in Z26.)

    lda     #$00
    sta     SWCHA
    ldx     #$ff
    stx     SWACNT
    sta     SWACNT
    lda     SWCHA
    beq    z26_detected

That's not exactly what I have in my code, but if I understand correctly why
it happens that should do the trick.

> So, my question is -- should this 'exploit' be published and
> thus allow the emulators to more correctly emulate the
> hardware

Yes.

Alex H