Re: [stella] Atari 2600 BASIC compiler

Subject: Re: [stella] Atari 2600 BASIC compiler
From: Glenn Saunders <mos6507@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 20:16:17 -0400
==
Maybe allowing at most one boolean operator would be a good compromise to give more flexibility in the language without abstracting away the assembly too much.
==

Doing a boundary check (if x > 10 and x < 50) is so common that I think one boolean would be important.

Or you can do something like SQL (if x between 10 and 50) which might be easier to parse?

==
I am thinking of assigning variables once they are used, like a real BASIC
interpreter does, so you are free to use any names you want, and of course
issue errors when you use up all the variables. This should be easy enough
to do, and would allow seamless declaration of 16-bit variables as well as
retain reverse-compatibility.
==

But I think it would be important to be able to reuse variables as we do in ASM with overlays.

I don't know if you support it now, but you should be able to do PEEK, POKE, and ADR also.