Re: [stella] How many NTSC colors?

Subject: Re: [stella] How many NTSC colors?
From: Glenn Saunders <mos6507@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 16:42:03 -0400
Mathematically speaking none of the colors are
identical as far as I know.  But after going through
NTSC, some may seem to be.

One reason I think has to do with the NTSC colorspace,
which is "compressed".  It can show more unique colors
in certain ranges than others.

So even if the 2600 technically generates different
colors for all 128, then after going through NTSC,
some colors might appear so similar as to be virtually
the same.
The 128 colors don't really represent an evenly spread
out choice out of all the possible 24-bit RGB colors,
or even the available colors that NTSC can express.
RGB can be expressed as (h)ue, (s)aturation, and
(l)uminance.  The 2600 deals with hue and luminance
but has fixed saturation.  The Amiga's palette
introduced saturation.

I think some of the colors that come out the other end
looking the most similar are in the blue range.
Meanwhile, there aren't really enough yellows/golds.

This depends on how you adjust the internal hue pot in
the 2600 and your TV's color settings.

I'm sure someone like Chris Wilkson can give a more
accurate explanation.