Re: [stella] How many NTSC colors?

Subject: Re: [stella] How many NTSC colors?
From: Chris Wilkson <ecwilkso@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:53:48 -0400
You've sort of answered your own question, with a slight error.  If you
have colors 1-15, there are only 14 gaps between them.  So a properly
adjusted machine with d=24 degrees gives a total of 336 degrees...no overlap.

Now the answer to the delay question.  If you have a choice between
a signal (color 1) and a delayed form of itself (color 15), the second
one will be delayed, no?  :)

Seriously, a picture might help.  Below, I've drawn a few periods of
a sinewave.  Each period corresponds to one pixel on screen.  I've
assumed that the delay for color 15 is 360 degrees, so that it lines
up with color 1.  For colors 2 and 3, you can see the delay building up.
For color 15, the delay is an entire pixel displaced.

  -         -         -         -
 / \       / \       / \       / \
/   \     /   \     /   \     /   \               color 1
     \   /     \   /     \   /     \   /
      \ /       \ /       \ /       \ /
       -         -         -         -
   -         -         -         -
  / \       / \       / \       / \
 /   \     /   \     /   \     /   \              color 2
      \   /     \   /     \   /     \   /
       \ /       \ /       \ /       \ /
        -         -         -         -
    -         -         -         -
   / \       / \       / \       / \
  /   \     /   \     /   \     /   \             color 3
       \   /     \   /     \   /     \   /
        \ /       \ /       \ /       \ /
         -         -         -         -

(...colors 4-14......)

            -         -         -         -
           / \       / \       / \       / \
 1 pixel  /   \     /   \     /   \     /   \      color 15
<------->      \   /     \   /     \   /     \   /
  delay         \ /       \ /       \ /       \ /
                 -         -         -         -
/   \     /   \     /   \     /   \       1 pixel   color 1
      \ /       \ /       \ /       \ /    delay

This is clearly visible on a real display.  It's what causes the artifacts
at vertical edges.  No big deal, but it's important to keep in mind when
putting similar colors next to each other.

-Chris