Re: [stella] on Batari BASIC

Subject: Re: [stella] on Batari BASIC
From: Kirk Israel <kirkjerk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:08:06 -0400
On 7/21/05, cybergoth@xxxxxxxx <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> > Anyway, I wonder what you all think of this. An upcoming flood of
> > small, simple homebrews makes me feel different about what I've
> > achieved I think.
>
> Hm... I personally think that a bB creation is a lot better than selling a graphics
> hack, so basically we've already seen worse.

true--though some gameplay hacks are quite worthy in my book.

> Also you should not forget that this "upcoming flood" will be compared and judged against "normal" ASM brewed titles and I don't think they can really compete with most of those.

True. We won't see any "Thrust"s, but I think something with the
gameplay of JoustPong or Gunfight is possible -- not as pretty as
Gunfight, perhaps, but not as bad as Outlaw either.

While lowering the bar in some ways it raises it in others. It will no
longer be so amazing to make your own 2600 game (and I have to admit
that was at least 75% of my pride in JoustPong) so gameplay
fundamentals will be important, and there might be room for a
surprising amount of complexity--just so long as it doesn't require
fancy display kernals.

And like I've said, Quimby's memory-mapped screen is quite a neat plaything.