Re: [stella] Good old Tune2600

Subject: Re: [stella] Good old Tune2600
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 17:55:22 -0400
Kirk wrote:
> Thomas, can the source to that be made available?

Sure, but it's a REAL mess (Turbo Pascal hack).

> I think it might be worth trying to make it a little more approachable

Definitely! :-)

> tune2600 /nc4d4e4f4g4a4b4c5

> gave an "Illegal Note" error....is there something where "b" isn't
> treated the same way as in German notation as it is in American?

Try 'h' instead.

> So is that thing just knowing what the well-tempered frequencies
> "should be", and finding the set of closest matches for the 2600
> frequencies for the notes desired?

It tries to find a set of notes with minimal distances, based on some
very coarse formula. A musician will know how to improve it. And it
doesn't care for the correct base frequency, just the distances,
because IMO it doesn't matter if the whole tune is played at a
(slightly) higher or lower pitch.

> Oh well.  Let me know what you all think about reviving and improving
> the Tune2600 idea...

The file is attached. :-)

Have fun!
Thomas
tjentzsch at web dot de |

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/x-zip which had a name of TUNE2600.ZIP]