Re: [stella] Good old Tune2600

Subject: Re: [stella] Good old Tune2600
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 10:13:18 -0400
On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Kirk Israel wrote:

> Sorry, I should have been more sepcific and mentioned I knew were only
> concerned about relative, not absolute values. but you bring up a lot
> of good points about certain notes being more important than others,
> and it being better if everything were flat than if some were flat and
> some were sharp...

I kind of went into free-association mode there :)

Some of the stuff I was rattling off, I have no idea how to implement
in code...

> Web tools tend to be good for one time activities, especially graphics
> and sound editing.  They can provide a GUI that you expect to run on
> almost any dang platform without a big JAVA-y download or what not.
> And they can be a little less initimdating to a newbie than a big
> download, encouraging poking around more. Those are the only
> advantages I think, but they're not trivial. And besides the fact they
> aren't readily scriptable, there's that other downside where more
> often than not your dependent on the site remaining up.

You can somewhat get around the dependence on the site staying up by
making your webapp open source and distributing the source all over the
place. If it's good, useful, and not painfully difficult to install,
you'll find copies of your app running all over the place pretty soon.

> I wonder if it might be easier to attempt from scratch. I'd tend to
> write it in Perl, which for my money has been extremely multiplatform,
> with the drawback that you can't generally make compact standalone
> executables.

I *heart* Perl.

You could write the guts of it as a perl module, then write different
frontends (web, CLI, local GUI) that use the module to do the heavy
lifting.

--
B.