Re: [stella] Announcing "webTune2600"

Subject: Re: [stella] Announcing "webTune2600"
From: Doug Dingus <opengeek@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 21:54:34 -0400
I did this long ago on the 8bitters. It's true @ 60Hz you will hear it. You
hear it up to fairly high frequencies. What happens is the ear translates
these into extra notes or it's heard as a pitch shift happening rapidly if
the frequency is low enough.

Because our ears work in frequency / time domain, all of these things are
well outside our tolerances and we hear them.

One thing that does work fairly well is to alternate the pitches every
cycle. --with some pattern, 112112112, 121212121, etc... Let each tone run
for exactly one cycle, then start the other one. I'm not sure the 2600 has
the muscle to actually get this done however.