Re: [stella] Announcing "webTune2600"

Subject: Re: [stella] Announcing "webTune2600"
From: Manuel Rotschkar <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 18:30:01 -0400
Hi there!

>> The idea is to take two adjacent TIA notes that use the same
>> distortion, and rapidly toggle between them on alternate frames.
>> Call it "audio flicker"... I *think* the human ear will perceive
>> this as a frequency halfway between the two, but I'm not sure...
>
> Don't underestimate the human ear. AFAIK it's harder to fool than the
> human eye.

Yup. At 60Hz you'll hear it vibrating.

Techniques like that are normally rather used with the volume than with
the frequency, so for example you can fake 5-Bit quality samples with the
TIAs 4-Bit volume register by dividing each 5-Bit sample in two 4-Bit
samples and feeding them to the TIA twice as fast as the 5-Bit
sample-speed.

For example

5-Bit value = 23  ( /2 = 11.5)

Will result in

4-Bit val 1 = 11
4-Bit val 1 = 12

(Hm... Isn't that called "oversampling"? :-))

Greetings,
	Manuel