Re: Another variable question

Subject: Re: Another variable question
From: Christian NENTWICH <C.Nentwich@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 10:13:15 +0100
> The value 20 is bound to the variable in global scope named "current_x" and
> *cannot* be changed.

That's the answer I was afraid of. Ok, so you want referential transparency in
XSL. There are two things I find very odd:

  1) XSLT has a lot of state in it. I don't see the point of having a
functional
   (normally state-less) approach in something so iterative.. But David
    is right and a functional approach with parameter passing will do, I'll
    just have to readjust my style sheet a bit.

  2) Functional programming in XSLT doesn't really mix well with iterative
    scripting languages, does it? Everyone is going to cheat, because normal
    (i.e. not computer science) people do not normally know much about
    functional programming.

  3) Why call them "variables" if they don't vary ? :)

You're not going to introduce combinators though are you? :)

Christian

http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/students/c.nentwich