Re: Unicode and XSL (was substring())

Subject: Re: Unicode and XSL (was substring())
From: James Clark <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 19:53:04 +0700
Richard Light wrote:

> The *semantics* of "the first character" might be a difficult one.
> However, if you are simply trying to count characters, surely all you
> have to do is to ignore any combining characters that occur within the
> string.

That rule wouldn't work very well for some languages.  For example, in
Thai (and I believe many other South-East Asian and Indic languages)
some vowels are represented by base characters and some vowels are
represented by combining characters.  For Thai, this rule would be a bit
like saying in English that we will count a, e and o but won't count i
or u.

James