RE: elements in a namespace

Subject: RE: elements in a namespace
From: Mike Brown <mbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 13:47:31 -0600
> If you get fed up of
> sticking xsl: in front of everything, you can do this:
>
> <stylesheet
>   xmlns="http://www.w3.org/XSL/Transform/1.0";
>   >

> [...]
>
> > namespace declarations in the stylesheet have
> > nothing to do with elements in the source tree.
>
> Not really `nothing'. If you want to access elements in the
> source tree which have a particular namespace associated,
> you have to declare that namespace in the stylesheet,
> to associate the namespace with a prefix. Don't you?

Yes, I stand corrected on both points.

I'm just disappointed in that there's no way to define a default namespace
for references to source tree elements. Of course, I realize that such an
implementation would require a mechanism for references to source tree
elements that have no namespace associations. The obvious solution would be
to associate a prefix with an empty namespace, but the Namespaces in XML
spec prohibits this (...why?) http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/#dt-prefix